The Office of Planning and Environmental Review (PER) provides a range of land use planning services that includes:
- Accepting and processing land use development applications
- Assessing environmental impacts and preparing environmental documents
- Monitoring mitigation actions.
- Oversight of Countywide policy and standards through the General Plan and Zoning Code maintenance and updating.
The Division has five sections that provide public services:
Application Processing. The Application Processing section’s primary responsibilities include implementation of the County's General Plan and Zoning Ordinance, and management of development in the unincorporated area of Sacramento County. This includes processing of land use and development applications for review by the Board of Supervisors, County Planning Commission, Zoning Administrator, Subdivision Review Committee and Planning Director. Good land use policy is critical to the County's future and ensures that Sacramento County maintains a high quality of life for residents and a viable local economy for businesses.
Zoning Administration. This section provides technical services and general planning information to the public at the front counter. Staff provides information on parcels, zoning and fees for applicants along with direction in filing out and filing Planning applications. The Zoning Administration staff review building permits (PER Plan Check) for technical details and compliance with the Zoning Code. Staff also reviews all new applications and renewal for Business Licenses. This section also provides the services of the Zoning Administrator (ZA) who takes final action on minor use permits and variances. This team also includes the Mitigation and Monitoring and Reporting Program (MMRP) to oversee private and public project compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
Environmental Review. The Environmental Review Section of the Office of Planning and Environmental Review (PER) prepares environmental documents consistent with the provisions of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) for all privately and publicly initiated projects within the County of Sacramento.
The Environmental Review Section provides the following services:
- Conducts environmental review, concurrent with the planning process, pursuant to CEQA for private applications and Long Range Planning projects Section.
- Conducts environmental review pursuant to CEQA and NEPA for public projects relating to, but not limited to: transportation, airports, waste management, sewer and water infrastructure and parks planning.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of permitting applications for public projects initiated by County Departments.
- Reviews environmental documents prepared by other entities and acts as a clearinghouse for comments by all concerned County departments and prepares coordinated responses for those entities.
Long Range Planning. This section is responsible for developing the vision, goals and policies for growth and the protection and preservation of the County's natural, environmental and agricultural resources. The General Plan is the primary tool for establishing those policies. The section also conducts special studies on major policy issues (such as housing, natural resource and open space preservation, air quality, infrastructure and urban expansion/annexation), participates in regional planning forums and provides input and recommendations to the Board of Supervisors and other hearing bodies on pending development proposals.