Residential Accessory Uses

​​​Sacramento County has many different residential accessory use classifications, ranging from guest houses to chicken coops. Applicable development standards depend on the use classification and can also depend on your property's zoning and location. 

​​Please answer the following questions to determine what standards apply to your project:

Are you within the Unincorporated area of the County? 
(Use this link to the County online map viewer if you're not sure, and check that your property jurisdiction reads "Unincorporated Area of the County".)
Does your property zoning include an overlay or combining zone, or are you within a Special Planning Area (SPA) or ​Neighborhood Preservation Area (NPA)? 
(Use the above link to determine your property zoning.)
  • Yes; my property zoning says 'SPA' or has another code in parentheses. 
    • These parcels have special use and development standards that may override regular zoning standards. SPA and NPA documents can be reviewed at this link. For any questions, or for applicable standards for properties with special codes, contact​.
  • ​​No; my property zoning starts with an AG, AR, A, or RD code and doesn't have any additional code in parentheses.  (Continue)

Are you Interested in operating a Short-Term (Vacation) Rental on your property? 

Will you be using or building an accessory structure that includes a sleeping area?

Will you be using or building an accessory structure for agricultural activities, including housing farm animals?
  • Yes. You are building an Incidental Agricultural Accessory Structure. See Sections 3.9.3.G for use standards and 5.3.2.C or 5.4.5.A, Table 5.10.B for development standards. [Summary of Incidental Agricultural Accessory Structure Standards coming soon!]
  • No. You are building a Residential Accessory Structure. See this summary of Residential Accessory Structure Standards​​. 

Want More Information?