State housing law requires Sacramento County to plan to meet the housing needs of all income groups through the Housing Element, an element of the County's General Plan. The County's Housing Element Update will cover a period of 2021 through 2029 and will result in modifications to the 2013-2021 Housing Element to address the changing needs of County residents as well as changes to State housing law. The County is required to demonstrate that it can accommodate a specific number of units for each income category within a specific time frame – this process is known as the Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA).
Regional Housing Needs Allocation
As a part of the Housing Element, the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) works with each region's council of governments (COG) to determine the projected housing needs in the region. Sacramento County is within the jurisdiction of the Sacramento Area Council of Governments (SACOG). SACOG is responsible for distributing HCD's housing needs allocation between the cities and counties within the region.
Housing Element Components
- Constraints Analysis: Analyzes governmental and nongovernmental constraints to the development of housing.
- Evaluation of Past Performance: Assesses the County's progress in implementing the policies and programs set forth in the prior Housing Element.
- Goals, Policies and Programs: Establishes new policies and programs and amends existing policies and programs to address the housing needs.
- Housing Needs Assessment: Provides demographic and housing need information.
- Housing Resources: Identifies financial and other resources available to support housing development, especially affordable housing.
- Public Participation: Summarizes the efforts to involve community members as part of the Housing Element update process as well as the feedback community members provided and how that has been addressed in the Housing Element.
- Sites Inventory and Analysis: Identifies sites available for housing development in order to accommodate the County's RHNA.
The County's Housing Element Update must be certified by HCD by May 2021. The following timeline was developed to meet this deadline:
Public Outreach: Spring 2020
Prepare Draft Element: Summer 2020 - Fall 2020
Planning Commission & Board of Supervisors Workshops: Summer 2020 - Fall 2020
Report Back to Outreach Participants: Fall 2020
Board of Supervisors Adoption Hearing: May 2021
State Certification: May 2021
Feedback Received So Far - See below summaries of what the County has heard from residents and stakeholders so far in the update process. Thank you for your input!
- Informational Webinars – County staff recorded two informational webinars in April; one in English and one in Spanish.
- Interactive Webinars - County staff hosted two interactive webinars for County residents and community organizations in May.
- Focus Group Meetings - County staff also hosted five focus group meetings with stakeholders and advocates in the following subjects: Housing for People with Disabilities, Housing and Services for People Experiencing Homelessness, Housing for Seniors, Housing for Farmworkers, Housing Element Goals, Policies, and Programs.
More Ways to Provide Feedback - We still want to hear from you! See below for several options to stay involved in the Housing Element Update. We will update this page as new outreach events are scheduled and new surveys become available.
- Survey 1 - We would like to understand your housing decisions and experiences in obtaining housing within Sacramento County.
- Survey 2 - We want to hear from you to understand what you like and do not like about housing in your community.
Workshops & Public Hearings
- County Planning Commission Workshop on July 27, 2020 - This meeting will be streamed live through BlueJeans Events starting at 5:30 p.m. and members of the public will be able to watch and/or listen. See County Planning Commission Meeting webpage for materials, instructions to watch/listen live and to make a public comment.