Sign up to receive email updates when new information is available
State housing law requires Sacramento County to plan to meet the housing needs of all income groups through the Housing Element, an element of the County's General Plan. The County's Housing Element Update will cover a period of 2021 through 2029 and will result in modifications to the 2013-2021 Housing Element to address the changing needs of County residents as well as changes to State housing law. The County is required to demonstrate that it can accommodate a specific number of units for each income category within a specific time frame – this process is known as the Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA).
Regional Housing Needs Allocation
As a part of the Housing Element Update, the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) works with each region's council of governments (COG) to determine the projected housing needs in the region. Sacramento County is within the jurisdiction of the Sacramento Area Council of Governments (SACOG). SACOG is responsible for distributing HCD's housing needs allocation between the cities and counties within the region.
Housing Element Components
- Housing Needs Assessment: Provides demographic and housing need information.
- Constraints Analysis: Analyzes governmental and nongovernmental constraints to the development of housing.
- Evaluation of Past Performance: Assesses the County's progress in implementing the policies and programs set forth in the prior Housing Element.
- Sites Inventory and Analysis: Identifies sites available for housing development in order to accommodate the County's RHNA.
- Housing Resources: Identifies financial and other resources available to support housing development, especially affordable housing.
- Goals, Policies and Programs: Establishes new policies and programs and amends existing policies and programs to address the housing needs.
- Public Participation: Summarizes the efforts to involve community members as part of the Housing Element update process as well as the feedback community members provided and how that has been addressed in the Housing Element.
The County's Housing Element Update must be certified by HCD by May 2021. The following timeline was developed to meet this deadline:
- Data Gathering: Fall 2019-Summer 2020
- SACOG Board Adopts Final Regional Housing Needs Plan: February 2020
- Public Outreach: Spring 2020
Dates Coming Soon!
- Preparation of the Draft Housing Element: Summer 2020 – Summer 2021
- Planning Commission and Board of Supervisor Workshops: Summer 2020
- Report Back to Outreach Participants: Winter 2020
- Board of Supervisors Adoption Hearing: April 2021
- State HCD Certification: May 2021