Sign up to receive email updates when new information is available
Draft Housing Element
Sacramento County has revised the draft Housing Element in response to the California Department of Housing and Community Development's initial review on April 19, 2021. See below for a track changes and a clean version of the draft Housing Element.
The CEQA document is now available!
Sacramento County has prepared a Negative Declaration for the Housing Element Update pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). The review period for the Negative Declaration begins on March 29, 2021 and ends on April 28, 2021. Comments regarding the Negative Declaration should be directed to the Sacramento County Environmental Coordinator and emailed to CEQA@saccounty.net or mailed to 827 7th Street, Room 225, Sacramento, California, 95814.
- Public Outreach: Spring/Summer 2020
- Prepare Draft Element: Summer 2020 - Winter 2020
- Planning Commission & Board of Supervisors Workshops: Summer 2020 - Fall 2020
- Report Back to Outreach Participants: Fall 2020
- Board of Supervisors Adoption Hearing: July 2021
- State Certification: July 2021
State housing law requires Sacramento County to plan to meet the housing needs of all income groups through the Housing Element, an element of the County's General Plan. The County's Housing element Update will cover a period of 2021 through 2029 and will result in modifications to the 2013-2021 Housing Element to address the changing needs of County residents as well as changes to State housing law. The County is required to demonstrate that it can accommodate a specific number of units for each income category within a specific time frame – this process is known as the Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA).
Regional Housing Needs Allocation
As a part of the Housing Element, the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) works with each region's council of governments (COG) to determine the projected housing needs in the region. Sacramento County is within the jurisdiction of the Sacramento Area Council of Governments (SACOG). SACOG is responsible for distributing HCD's housing needs allocation between the cities and counties within the region.
Housing Element Components
- Constraints Analysis: Analyzes governmental and nongovernmental constraints to the development of housing.
- Evaluation of Past Performance: Assesses the County's progress in implementing the policies and programs set forth in the prior Housing Element.
- Goals, Policies and Programs: Establishes new policies and programs and amends existing policies and programs to address the housing needs.
- Housing Needs Assessment: Provides demographic and housing need information.
- Housing Resources: Identifies financial and other resources available to support housing development, especially affordable housing.
- Public Participation: Summarizes the efforts to involve community members as part of the Housing Element update process as well as the feedback community members provided and how that has been addressed in the Housing Element.
- Sites Inventory and Analysis: Identifies sites available for housing development in order to accommodate the County's RHNA.
Workshops & Public Hearings
- Board of Supervisors Presentation on October 6, 2020 – The purpose of this presentation was to provide the Board of Supervisors and members of the public with the opportunity to review proposed new Housing Element programs and to provide feedback early in the process. See the Board of Supervisors Public Meeting webpage.
- County Planning Commission Workshop on July 27, 2020 - The purpose of this presentation was to provide the Planning Commission and members of the public with the opportunity to review proposed new Housing Element programs and to provide feedback early in the process. See County Planning Commission Meeting webpage for materials, instructions to watch/listen live and to make a public comment.
- Community Planning Advisory Council (CPAC) - Housing Element Update team attended all 14 CPAC meetings held during October and November to provide all CPAC members and members of the community the opportunity to review proposed Housing Element programs and to provide feedback in the process. Here is a link to the CPAC Summary Workshops.